Monday, January 17, 2011

Made It Myself Monday: Scrabble Tile Pendants

This is the first post in the blog post series "Made It Myself Monday."  Each Monday I will write about a craft I have tried, and at the end of the post I will write whether or not it is a craft I want to continue doing.

I love crafts and often branch out and try different things.  Since I am detailed oriented, I can be very critical of my own creations.  If I see flaws in my work, then no one else will ever see what I made.  So when I try something new, I have this drive to make at least one item that passes my own inspection.  Once I have done that, then I make the decision as to whether or not I want to make more.  Sometimes I do want to keep going, and other times once is enough.

The latest thing I've tried is Scrabble Tile Pendants.  I made a few duds, but finally came up with one that I attached to a black cord and actually wear now and then.  Here it is :-)


I did research on the web before buying the supplies.  There are lots of great "how to" sites that walk you through the process.  So I read them, and then went and bought the supplies that I thought would work best for me.


Three things I learned by trial and error:
1). Never leave the Beacon's 3-In1 Craft Glue sitting on it's side, because the glue will flood out when you take the cover off.
2). When applying the Diamond Glaze, don't let the tip touch the tile.  This keeps down the amount of bubbles you will have to remove.
3). Scrapbook paper works great for the image.

The main reason I wanted to master making Scrabble Tile Pendants is to make an elephant pendant for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law.  I wanted to make her one for Christmas, but didn't have the process down well enough, so now I am planning to make her an elephant pendant for her birthday.

I enjoyed making the kitty tile, and I look forward to making an elephant tile, and will probably make more pendants after that. This craft is a keeper!!!

PS, I love comments :-)

1 comment: